Monday, April 10, 2006

A Good Book

I am reading a very interesting book entitled, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.

It gives a rare look into the mind of a person with autism, and how they view the world. It is fascinating, because you can't help but compare it to your own viewpoint and compare/contrast how they see things and go about their day to day life.

One of my favorite quotes in the book comes from the main character, Christopher, a 15 year old boy.
He is asked by his teacher if he feels sad about a past event, and he says to her, "Mother is dead and Mr. Shears isn't around anymore. So I would be feeling sad about something that isn't real and doesn't exist and that would be stupid."

I thought that was so simple, yet so profound. Granted, autism is considered a disability, but that quote still reminded me how easy it is to complicate things and muddle them up with
"what if's" or "supposed to's" or "need to."


I love the straightforward, truth only outlook of this "special needs" boy.
I think this might serve to clarify my career decision...

No comments: