Thursday, April 13, 2006

Does Faith=Entitlement?

As Easter approaches, I tend to think about my faith and spirituality more in depth, and how it applies to everyday living.
There are always situations that arise where you put your beliefs in action. I believe,as an integral part of my faith, that we develop a working set of character traits and gifts through faith, and that we use them when we interact with others. As a result, we bear witness to our faith-sharing with each other, and showing them how we choose
to live life with the positive values that we hold dear.

Sometimes I find myself in conflict with other believers and how they view the world and the people in it.
Without going into too much detail, I feel confused when people call themselves Christians and feel they are better
than "the others." The others would pertain to unbelievers, the "poor" (big discussion on what that means in and of
itself) and anyone else who doesn't believe what they believe. It is like there is a sense of entitlement with the word.

Isn't a big part of our faith to accept and love others unconditionally, and to try and show to one another the love our Father
showed us on Easter Sunday? The word compassion is defined as: "the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it." Usually, compassion is thought of as being applied to someone "less fortunate" than ourselves. I realized today that it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe I should apply it to the "fortunate" too.

Hey, I'm just trying to understand.

No comments: