Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It Happens Overnight

I was just talking with my sons about their day and how they spend their recesses. Nolan informed me that he and Aaron do get to play together, but Aaron can't play "tire tag" because he isn't a 2nd grader, only a 1st grader. Next year, Aaron can play tire tag, but not with Nolan.

"Why not?" I asked the boys.

"Because next year Nolan is a big kid," Aaron answered sweetly. "Yeah, I'm a big kid and 5th graders don't have recess with the little kids. Also, we don't have early lunch with the little kids." Nolan clarified.

I had to hold back the misty eyes.

"Wow, that's right, you will be a big kid next year," I said bravely.

At least for now they are still officially little kids. Although, they will always be my babies.

Things change and people grow up and grow older. I think my medical terminology teacher stated it very eloquently when he said in class today, "That's the thing about age, Something hurts all the time and all of it makes noise..."

We all laughed out loud.

No comments: