Monday, January 16, 2006

Have you ever conquered a fear?





The other day I was cleaning out the garage... nothing major, just moving some boxes around.

I am DEATHLY afraid of black widow spiders... I get a physical reaction to even seeing them (rapid heartbeat, shivers, irrational thoughts like it will attack my face or something-)

I grabbed a picture that was covered with a blanket to move it, and I felt something hard on the soft part of my hand between my thumb and first finger. (yes, it was the spider)

I didn't know it was a black widow at first, until I saw it crawling away on the ground- to which I promptly responded by stepping on it.

But, in that brief moment I didn't freak out, didn't panic- I acted!
Now, I know in the larger scheme of things it isn't much, but it is comforting to know if you need that strength inside you it's there, accesible.

Sometimes conquering the little daily fears let you know that it is ok, and that it isn't so scary after all...

No comments: