
I was watching the kids swim this early evening, and I couldn't help noticing how different they looked in the water, and how their moves were the moves of older kids. My Mom in law, Gayle, had made this remark to me also when she saw Nolan, Kayah, Aaron and Kush in the water together. I realized that the memories I had of them swimming now needed to be replaced with a newer version- the version of which I observed today.
Nolan is longer and leaner, with small, defined muscles on his shoulders and legs. He can hold his breath underwater for a very long time, and loves to watch the world of underwater motion with his mask firmly in place on his face.
Kayah is confident and strong. She is also very graceful with her swimming movements, and was holding Kush on her shoulders as the kids played "chicken fight". Her hair is extremely beautiful when it is wet.
Aaron is out in the deep end all of the time, doing flips underwater and swimming back and forth from the shallow end to the deep end. He is more social, and enjoys playing with other children he just met, engaging in imaginary games they make up for the water.
Kush-I see such a difference! He is tall and slender and swims with meaning and a purpose. He ventures out to the deep end continously unassisted. He can climb effortlessly upon Kayah's shoulders, or onto the boogie board in a mock surfing pose.
And did I mention Josalyn? I remember her as a 10-12 month old baby, in a swim diaper- only in the water because an adult holds her and swims around with her. Now, she wears a purple swimsuit with built in floaties, and sits on the steps in the shallow end. She loved the water as Aunt Stacy held her and swam her around in circles, the water running over her little shoulders and splashing her face. Her face is beaming with a smile as wide as the pool.
And so this summer, I prepare to add another layer to my memories of the children. Not replacing the layers underneath, but adding a new layer of remembrance over them.
Just like a tree. Hopefully, when I am older- I can recall each layer individually, with the clarity and emotion intact.

No comments:
Post a Comment