Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Grey-O


Back in January, my oldest son Nolan started to watch American Idol on a regular basis.
B and I joined in, while Aaron was content to read or watch intermittently. Nothing big, just something to do together on a Tuesday and Wednesday evening. We each had our favorites: mine was Elliot, B liked Katherine, and Aaron didn't care much.

As the contestants got voted off, Nolan kept expressing his belief that a certain contestant was the best, and he liked the way he sang. He also liked how he was different from the others because of his grey hair.
Nolan christened him with the nickname "Grey-O".

The other kids at school didn't think Grey-O would win- he wasn't cool enough, or his grey hair wasn't what everybody else had.

We had to explain to Nolan what "Soul Patrol" meant: if you have soul, it is something that is deep inside you- it can't be faked or processed- it is what and who you are- to your essence and core.

Well, I just want to say: keep believing Nolan, or as Taylor Hicks said when he won American Idol, "I'm livin' the American Dream!"

Of course, If you ask me- I'm not a fan... "wink"

No comments: